For those with a missing tooth, perhaps from an accident or tooth decay, that empty space is more than just an annoyance. It can also be a location where damage begins to occur, and other teeth in the area are put at risk. A tooth implant can fix this. At Lovett Dental North Heights, we offer comprehensive dental implant services that can shore up your smile quickly. We encourage you to learn more about this process.
How Does a Tooth Implant Happen?
A single tooth implant can be used as a permanent replacement for a missing tooth. In this procedure, an oral surgeon will place the titanium, screw-like implant into the jawbone below the opening or gap in the teeth. It takes a bit of time, but the implant will fuse with the bone in this area. Once that happens, it creates a very strong artificial root for the tooth. From there, a post is placed on top of the implant.
This allows for a dental crown to be fitted on top. This is a type of cap for the tooth. It is also the portion of the tooth that you’ll see. The crown can be colored and styled to match the remaining teeth. Most of the time, people cannot tell the difference between the crown and the surrounding teeth.
How Does A Tooth Implant Work?
A single tooth implant is designed to work all on its own to support the crown at the top. It is made from:
- The implant itself, which is made of titanium and positioned into the jawbone
- The abutment, also called a post, that connects the implant to the crown. It is often made of titanium, gold, or a porcelain material
- The crown, often made of all-metal, all-porcelain, or porcelain that’s fused to metal application. It is often made to look like the surrounding teeth
Once in place, this entire structure needs time to heal. Full healing can take several months to fully heal.
In some situations, the jawbone is damaged. This is common in situations where there is significant tooth decay or gum disease. In this situation, the dentist will need to do bone grafting. They will take a portion of a bone from another area of the body and implant it into the jaw. Over the next four to six months (sometimes longer), that transplant will heal and fuse. Once that happens, a dental implant can be placed in the area.
Why Should You Get Dental Implants?
There are several dental implant options based on a person’s needs. All of them provide the same outcome – a strong, durable artificial tooth. Yet this process takes time and may be expensive in some situations. So, why do it? There are many key reasons this can be a good move:
- Improve the overall strength of the tooth, creating better chewing and biting power
- Fill in the open gap, which can help prevent other teeth from crowding into that space
- Minimize the risk of tooth decay of other teeth, especially if they are weakened
- Get a permanent solution you may not have to worry about again
- Reduce the risk of ongoing damage to your teeth and smile
Perhaps the best reason to get dental implants is that they can give you a beautiful smile again. That may mean you are more confident, too.
Ready to Learn More? Call Lovett Dental North Heights for an Appointment.
Protecting and improving your smile is important. For some, a tooth implant is exactly the right solution. Our team at Lovett Dental North Heights can offer a consultation to allow you to learn more about your options and the benefits. To get started, give our team a call now at 832-617-5531 or reach out to us online.