One of the most common and frequently used general dentistry services is teeth cleaning. Regularly brushing and flossing can keep teeth healthy but it makes sense to have a more thorough cleaning from time-to-time to make sure all areas of your mouth are at their best. Teeth cleaning and dental exams at Lovett Dental North Heights is a simple way to not only maintain a healthy smile but prevent cavities or other issues.
Benefits of Teeth Cleaning
No matter how well you brush and floss, you can reach every nook and cranny in your mouth. There are always difficult to reach areas between your teeth. In the areas, bacteria can build up. You can recognize this when you see the plaque on your teeth. Plaque is a sticky film where bacteria thrive. If left untreated, plaque can harden creating tartar, which can only be removed through professional means. Plaque is dangerous because the bacteria build-up can cause cavities which can lead to tooth decay and tooth loss as well as gum disease.
Routine teeth cleaning is the best way to prevent plaque build-up in the hard to reach areas of your mouth. It is also the only way to eliminate tartar. Your dental hygienist or dentist will use a scaler and mirror to scrape tartar away from your gum line and between your teeth. It is a painless process that improves your teeth and gums’ look, feel, and health.
Teeth Cleaning Options
At Lovett Dental North Heights, our experienced hygienists and skilled dentists make your teeth cleaning a simple procedure. A thorough exam is first conducted, which may include:
- Taking diagnostic x-ray imaging
- Screening for oral cancer
- Checking for signs of gum disease
- Checking for tooth decay
- Evaluating the condition of restorations
This is part of the standard procedure to check for any serious issues that may need addressing. Results will be discussed with you, so you know exactly what your options are. After your examination, your dentist will use the scaler and mirror to address any areas of tartar build-up.
Once removed, you’ll have the option of having a deep clean done. This kind of teeth cleaning is called scaling or root planing. It’s a way to prevent or address periodontal issues (gum disease). Clients may also elect after their teeth cleaning to have fluoride treatment done to strengthen their teeth or a dental sealant be applied to prevent cavities from forming.
Contact Lovett Dental North Heights
At Lovett Dental North Heights, we’re dedicated to maintaining and improving your oral health. We recommend scheduling a check-up every six months. During these twice-yearly dental exams, your dentist can monitor your oral hygiene and gum health. During your general dentistry check-ups, having routine teeth cleanings done reduces the risk of any more serious issues like cavities or gum disease from developing.
Aside from teeth cleaning, Lovett Dental North Heights also provides:
- Pediatric dentistry: Young children need to get accustomed to visiting the dentist, so their teeth are healthy throughout their life. Also, adolescents often have unique needs springing from alignment issues which can be addressed through orthodontics (braces, for example).
- Cosmetic dentistry: From teeth whitening to address staining to dental veneers designed to fix gaps, cosmetic dentistry is an excellent way to improve the look and feel of your teeth while boosting your confidence
- Specialty services: When clients need specific procedures like a root canal, tooth extraction, or some other oral surgery, we can help.
- Emergency dental care: Accidents happen. When your teeth are suddenly damaged, broken, or chipped, or you experience new pain or discomfort, we’re available to help.